Table of Contents
- 1 What is a sentence for overwhelming?
- 2 How do you use overwhelmed in a sentence?
- 3 What is the meaning of the term Overwhelming?
- 4 Is overwhelming a positive word?
- 5 Why do we get overwhelmed?
- 6 What type of word is overwhelming?
- 7 Is overwhelmed a feeling?
- 8 What are 4 other words to describe overwhelmed?
What is a sentence for overwhelming?
(1) He has exhibited symptoms of anxiety and overwhelming worry. (2) The urge to look was almost overwhelming. (3) She felt an overwhelming desire to return home. (4) She felt an overwhelming desire to hit him.
How do you use overwhelmed in a sentence?
Overwhelmed sentence example
- He must have been overwhelmed with the responsibility – and guilt.
- She felt suddenly overwhelmed by loneliness.
- She rubbed her face, overwhelmed by her day.
- Carmen gazed down at Matthew, overwhelmed with the joy of motherhood.
- She managed a smile, too overwhelmed by her emotions to speak.
Where do we use the word overwhelming?
You can use overwhelming to emphasize that an amount or quantity is much greater than other amounts or quantities. The overwhelming majority of small businesses go broke within the first twenty-four months. The party won an overwhelming victory in the general election last May.
What is the meaning of the term Overwhelming?
1 : very great or strong an overwhelming majority. 2 : very difficult or confusing an overwhelming task. More from Merriam-Webster on overwhelming. Thesaurus: All synonyms and antonyms for overwhelming.
Is overwhelming a positive word?
When describing a person or event, it can imply physical or emotional exhaustion. “The event was overwhelming.” “I’m overwhelmed!” It can be positive, but, in my opinion, it’s default mood is negative, unless the speaker clearly indicates otherwise.
Can I say overwhelmed?
And “overwhelmed” as a verb is itself an unnecessary variation, since its root, “whelm,” means the same thing. “Over the last 600 years, however, ‘overwhelm’ has won over English speakers who have come to largely prefer it to ‘whelm,’ despite the latter’s brevity,” says Merriam-Webster’s usage note.
Why do we get overwhelmed?
Emotional overwhelm may be caused by stress, traumatic life experiences, relationship issues, and much more. If you feel emotionally overwhelmed for an extended period of time, you may benefit from seeing a mental health professional.
What type of word is overwhelming?
that overwhelms; overpowering: The temptation to despair may become overwhelming.
Is overwhelming a bad thing?
Sometimes people feel overwhelmed by emotion, and this can be a positive or negative experience, depending on the emotion. For example, you might feel overwhelmed by gratitude if your friend takes excellent care of your fish, but overwhelmed with grief if the fish is accidentally flushed in your absence.
Is overwhelmed a feeling?
Emotional overwhelm is a state of being beset by intense emotion that is difficult to manage. It can affect your ability to think and act rationally. It could also prevent you from performing daily tasks. Emotional overwhelm may be caused by stress, traumatic life experiences, relationship issues, and much more.
What are 4 other words to describe overwhelmed?
What is another word for overwhelmed?